Welwyn Garden City Schools’ Centenary Photographic Competitions
The Welwyn Garden City Centenary Foundation will oversee a series of photographic competitions leading up to and including the WGC Centenary year (2020). To enable this, ‘School Champions’ are working with the WGC Photographic Club, and are collectively defined here as the “Organisers”.
One photographic competition will be held each year in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. A grand final will also be held in 2020.
Each photograph entered must be the work of one student.
Each yearly competition is open to all full-time or part-time pupils attending the 26 eligible schools in Welwyn and Welwyn Garden City who are in the following 4 key stage groupings that year: KS1 (Reception to Year 2), KS2 (Years 3-6), KS3 (Years 7-9) and KS4 and 5 (Years 10-13).
Submission of Entries
Photographic images submitted by a pupil must be uploaded via the web-page School Uploads in digital form as a JPEG file.
The entrant will be asked to provide their given name and Family name, email address, school name and key stage group during the upload process.
IMPORTANT: The “school name” selected on the upload form should be the school that the pupil normally attends. If their own school is not in the drop-down list of 26 eligible schools, they should select the school they attended which invited them to enter the competition. (e.g. a pupil at a Hatfield school visiting a WGC school for Art lessons)
Images entered may be captured using any Camera equipment, e.g. Smart Phone, Compact, DSLR, Bridge camera, Tablet etc.
All photographs must be the pupil’s own work, and as such they own the right to distribute the image.
Images must not exceed a maximum size of 5 Megabytes (5 MB).
Images may be manipulated by the entrant in any way using Smartphone Apps or using software packages on PC or MAC, e.g. Photoshop, Lightroom etc. Any number of images may be merged providing each element used is the author’s own work.
Photos entered in the any year’s competition must not have been entered in a previous year’s competition.
Should an image be selected as a winner (see Judging), then upon request, the author may (at the judges’ discretion) be required to obtain consent from each individual in the photograph in order for the image to be publicly displayed or posted on-line.
Judging the Winning Photos
Judging will be carried out in stages.
- Initially a panel of teachers at each pupil’s school will agree on a number images from each key stage at their school.
- Those images in each key stage from each school will be judged by a second panel of judges comprising local dignitaries, members of Welwyn Garden City Photographic Club and selected third parties unconnected with any particular school.
- That panel will agree on a 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed image plus 1or 2 Highly Commended Photos in each key stage , thereby producing a total of around 20 winning finalists each calendar year from 2017 to 2020.
A certificate , a trophy and a mounted print will be awarded to the author of each of the 3 winning images in each key stage.
Each year, that year’s winners will be contacted on or about the end of the summer term via their email address. Winners will be required to respond to the Organisers via email within 14 days or an alternate winner may be selected. The Organisers may require a higher quality resolution of the winning image. If a suitable resolution image for print is not made available, an alternative winner may be selected. These alternative selections will be made by the judging panel.
The winning images will be professionally printed and mounted and displayed in the Howard Centre Exhibition later that year by the WGC Photographic Club, at no cost to the pupil concerned.
In 2020, a Grand Final will be held in which the winning images of each of the 4 years will be judged and images selected. The pupils who created the winning images will be presented with grand final certificates at that event.
Each judging panel reserves the right to refuse photographs that contain nudity, violent or offensive material or contain trademarked or copyrighted images.
The judging panels retain the sole discretion over the selection of, and decision to select or not to select, any particular entry as a winner. All decisions made by judging panels are final.
The digital images submitted will be stored and archived on FLICKR or an alternative medium / facility for future use by the Centenary Foundation.
The winning prints from each year will be mounted using archive standard materials and stored for re-use by the Centenary Foundation.
Rights to Photos
Each entrant will retain all rights to any photograph they submit — including ownership if applicable. By entering any of the contests, each entrant grants the Organisers a non-exclusive right and royalty-free license, in perpetuity:
- To publish the images in any format, including on the Welwyn Garden City Photographic Club website, on social media accounts, in national media (TV and newspapers) and in any Organisers publications or presentations, such as newsletters, brochures, magazine issues, fundraising appeals, public service announcements, grant proposals, reports, awards, thank-you cards, displays, mailings and invitations – but not necessarily limited to these..
- To use, in connection with the photo contest, your name, town and country of residence in promotions and other publications.
- To keep the prints and files provided, and archive the images on disk or in other electronic forms, so that the entrant’s photos can be used to support the Organisers mission to encourage young people in the art of photography.
Other Terms and Conditions
The Organisers are not responsible for lost, late, misdirected or incomplete entries or technical errors or difficulties.
The Organisers reserve the right to adjust the contest deadlines if necessary and amend these rules, subject to the agreement of the Centenary Foundation.
By entering, participants thereby release and hold harmless the Organisers and their agents from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the contest or any prize won.
By participating in this contest (by uploading an image), each entrant agrees to these terms and conditions.